Penguins 4 - Kings 1
And the Kings one goal was a deflection on a 5-on-2. Whatever, the win is more important than the shutout. Don't tell Fleur.
This was the first game that the original Hockey Junkies got to go together to in about a month. And it was like old times. We didn't talk during game play, made fun of the man in front of us and clapped when we were supposed to.
Noodles was super-excited to finally see Jack Johnson in Mellon Arena. And Drew Doughty play live. But too bad Oscar Moller was out because he's an adorable Swede.
Things we noticed while "wow-ing" at Sidney Crosby's backhand.....
- The beginning of the game did not bode well for the Penguins since Sarah Marince was singing the anthems. Her record is something like 1-30-2 this season. She made out with the camera at the end of the song as if it was Sidney Crosby.
- Sidney Crosby may not be the league's MVP but he was a beast last night. He was everywhere, making plays and just being himself. It was fun to watch him.
- The Kings powerplay point was Doughty and Johnson which had Noodles silently freaking out in her seat.
- There were really pretty girls sitting next to the Penguins penalty box. Or at least there had to be since they took about sixty-seven penalties.
- Sid's steal and backhand goal was awesome. What can't he do?
- Malkin's goal was sweet. Johnny Quick had no clue what was going on with that pass from Sid.
- The Kings did not play bad but their offense is just not there. It could be because it was the second of a back-to-back night for them. Or not, who knows?
- The 10-minute misconducts for Cooke and Simmonds were odd. We don't think that even Bob Between The Benches had an idea.
- Malkin and Johnson going against each other was funny. Roughings for everyone, kids.
- We were initially disappointed that Eric Godard was scratched but then were eating our harsh words when Craig Adams blocked the two shots on the 5-on-3.
- The man next to us kept talking about how big Michal Handzus was. After the third instance of "He's a big body in front of the net" we confused him for Pierre McGuire.
- We love when Tyler Kennedy scores because of the goal video played. It's pretty great.
- Grandpa Guerin's goal made Henrik mad. He missed every time Sid passed to him but not when Malkin did. That goal was pretty cool, just sniping it into the net.
- Fleur had quite a few rebounds but the defense was there to clear it out. Halbert was everywhere, especially on the pk.
- This recap was hard to write only because the game is a little fuzzy and Patch Adams is on and we can't stop watching it.
- Coachy's post-game interview made us giggle.
He said 'swagger' like twenty times.
He must think he's M.I.A. That's why we love him.
EDIT: NHL.com had an article about Tom Fitzgerald the player. And no matter how he "tortured" the Penguins in the playoffs years ago, Noodles is sorta in love with him.